A New Year is here and we have some great 2019 New Year’s Resolutions for Marketers. So clear out that emergency chocolate stash from your bag, jog from the water cooler back to your desk and start as you mean to go. Out with the old and in with the new. Here’s our 2019 New Years Resolutions for Marketers.
Your competitors are on fire. They’re busy embracing the latest trends and are probably perfecting their snackable content strategy as we speak. Stop thinking about Christmas leftovers. So now is definitely the time to quit procrastinating. Flicking between social networking sites won’t get the job done, so why not look at where your target market is most active and focus on delivering some really great content. This might sound a little tiring, particularly if you’re still in a mince pie coma. But a new year means new challenges and it’s time to get that social strategy right!
Here are some top tips to remember:
- Adopt a multi-channel approach but make your life easier by repurposing content. Juicy stats from a LinkedIn post, for example, can form a series of tweets or be transformed into an eye-catching, relevant and engaging Facebook infographic. Visuals and videos also work well on Instagram, so if there’s a way to showcase information in different ways – do it!
- Encourage interaction with quizzes, competitions and polls tailored to your line of business. Include a much-needed call-to-action as this will encourage people to interact with your brand. And don’t forget incentives such as prizes, freebies or some kind of digital shout-out. Simply re-tweeting posts from followers can generate a buzz and prompt them to respond more in future.
Stop Copying Other People’s Content
Re-tweets and social media shares are fine – but know when to stop! Your content strategy can’t simply revolve around redistributing other people’s work as this won’t set you apart as industry leaders. If you want to stand out from the crowd and excite your audience, it’s crucial to use your own mind and generate content that’s tailored to your brand. And yes, that probably means a good old brainstorming session is required. Before you start, you must understand the following:
- What’s hot and what’s not from immersive storytelling to using blogging channels like Medium to increase brand awareness.
- Know your brand’s USPs. What do you do that’s different from everyone else? Once you know the answer you can start to create unique content that will add value to your business.
- KPIs! By setting Key Performance Indicators, you can track your progress and celebrate when key targets have been met! Yay for office pizza!
Content marketing goes beyond the written word and needs clear direction which is why we’ve artfully coined the term Content Choreography. Like any good ballet, all elements need to come together at the right time in order to impress your target market across multiple channels. And if you’re struggling with this in house, don’t be afraid to outsource. As a leading content marketing agency, we’re waiting to help get your content marketing on track throughout 2019 and beyond.
Shape Up With A Quality Video For Your Brand
While many people hit the gym following a Christmas binge, you can start getting in shape with a high-quality video for your brand. Video will dominate 80% of all global web content by 2020. As viewers retain 95% of a marketing message when watching a video as opposed to 10% when reading text, it makes perfect sense to make video a priority. Here’s what to remember:
- The attention span of a human averages about 8 seconds – that’s less than a goldfish. So, there’s no need to waffle on and on. A short video clip containing a key point and a call to action is enough and can be easily shared across your website and social channels. If there’s more you need to say, create a video series, but stay on point and highlight the most important element of your campaign.
- Prepare for your live video by taking certain actionable steps! For instance – learn your lines or you’ll look like a fool who hasn’t yet woken up from that festive hangover. What’s more, be sure to dress appropriately, make sure the office is tidy and let the window cleaner know they shouldn’t make a surprise appearance during filming. (yes, it does happen).
Ace It With An Educational Content Hub
If you want people to choose you over some other swanky brand, it’s necessary to put the work in – total shocker, right! One way to fend off the competition is to become a go-to source of information and education. You can do this by creating an educational hub as part of your website with access to blogs, tips, sector updates, regulations, guidelines and anything else consumers need to know. Regularly updated content is great for SEO and organic search results but it also gives people a genuine reason to keep coming back for more.
For this to work, be sure to:
- Update your educational centre regularly
- Ensure your content is original and well written
- Stay up-to-date and provide thought-leading information
- Promote your content across multiple channels
- Post to business sites like LinkedIn to extend your outreach and link back to the hub
Did you enjoy reading 2019 New Year’s Resolutions for Marketers and most importantly which resolution will you make? If you need help with any element of your content strategy, contact the Contentworks crew today. We’ve worked with leading lifestyle, tech and finance brands and know the importance of being original and engaging.